Friday 22 April 2011

A Final Farewell To Lemerre

I still plan to play out this final month, but with the game world becoming less active by the day, I thought I would send out a farewell mail to say thank you for the good times and wish everyone well...


So, as we approach the final days of a game that I can safely say is the greatest I've ever played, I thought I would send a final farewell mail. To everyone and everything that made it so great.

It's amazing how we all become so attached to virtual players, fall in love with the way a 3D figure moves around a green screen, become good friends with people you are never likely to meet in real life. Try and explain it to someone who hasn't played, and they look at you gone out. Yes, it is just a game, but it feels so much more in these final days.

So before the gameworld becomes empty, I'd like to say a goodbye to all the members that have made my stay here a pleasurable one, and to those that have given me the enthusiasm and the opportunities to become first of all FAO, then a gameworld moderator. To everyone, from Aaron Burnage to Yuan Yao I thank you and I bid you farewell.

Special mentions go to all of the friends I've made in here. From the people I've known previously (Philip Anderson, Justin Eaton, Dan Taylor, Rob Barker) to the ones I met in here (Chris Rowe, NVD, Anders Olsen, Da Vinci and most notably Azza).

Also to the best moderator I've ever shared a gameworld with Brian Cousins, along with another legend Drew Warburton. But mostly to the one person who has kept me playing since pre reset, Steven Scott (yes I know he is a Scot but we will ignore that just for once) a true legend of the game.

So a thanks to everyone, a big thanks to anyone who has or still is in the CFA, and a mahoosive thanks to the aforementioned. I wish you all good luck in rediscovering that thing they call the real world, and who knows, maybe our paths will cross again at some point.

Peace out
Paul

On top of this, and away from the game world, I just want to say thanks to the outside community. I very much enjoy reading people's blogs and getting a sense of how they see the game. It's easy to write a blog based on how your team has been playing, all your achievements, but the ones that really interest me are the ones that give views and opinions on the game, and the occasional rant of course. A couple of favourites have been Rik Stewart's and the "I am Spartacus" blogs, but i thank all writers for giving me something interesting to read away from the client.

Once again, it's sad and disappointing to see such a great game fail.

4 comments:

  1. More for my own future reference rather than to gloat, here are the replies i received:

    Drew Warburton:

    Thank you Paul for all you have done to make Lemerre the place it was. It wouldnt have been the same without you, and I know most of the GW will agree with me on that.

    Drew

    Ryan Perry:

    Thanks paul for everything, probably my favourite mod on FML and helped me with a few things. All the best for after FML

    Cheers
    Ryan

    Ben Preston:

    all the best Paul n cheers for the cfa. u done a great a job

    Steven Scott:

    Here, here Paul.

    Even though he is a devoted follower of Engerland and I am a Scot. He ain't a bad bloke really.

    <:emoticon#41> We'll be comin, we'll be comin, we'll be comin down the road, when you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys we'll be comin down the road <:emoticon#41>

    Brian Cousins:

    Thank you Paul, some touching words there and i must admit i fully echo what you have said, its a shame that such a good bunch of friends are now being torn apart due to the ending of FML but do i regret it, not in the slightest, ive made some great friends and fully enjoyed the almost 4 years of this great game.
    We have had a number of good orgs in the past but with due respect for all i would have to say Paul epitomised the role well and if there was a model based on "how to be a good org" then i would say follow his example, thank you for all the hard work you have put in its much appreciated

    Brian

    Anders Olsen:

    Wise words from the most hard working org/mod I have come across in my entire 2½-3 year old FML career, and such a friendly person.

    Paul was the one who convinced me to join CFA when VFA was falling apart, and never have I regretted. At times I have wanted to leave CFA, but mainly Paul and the other great lads in there kept me in that FA. And I even left for the farewell FA, but ultimately could not leave CFA and the gang.

    I do hope some of you will stay a bit in touch on the Facebook group, and that one day we can cross each others roads again. Perhaps FMO in a few years.

    It is almost like saying goodbye to your highschool mates, well knowing that you most likely wont here from people again. Good people, good friends. Very hard to accept. But lifes goes on, and by turning my head and taking a look at my happy little daughter, shows me that despite of everything sad in here, there is a life outside that brings joy and smile.

    I wish all the best for everyone.

    / Anders

    Azza:

    To Paul, what can i say mate. Without a doubt the best lad ive had the pleasure of working with, a great laugh, a professional attitude and a true mate. I'm gonna miss loads of lads from this GW infact most of you but i hace to sayi'd have been missing you all alot sooner than now if it wasnt for paul and having the chance to work with him to shape the CFA into the great community it became.
    Massive respect due to you man, a true gent
    azza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck for the future bud.... the blogs were really starting to build up again :(

    As I said on Thom's, I am gong to keep returning to my blog now and then in the hope that I see a post from one of you guys saying some exciting Beta testing is happening somewhere....

    ... damn, grasping at any kind of hope :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all are mate :D. And good luck to you too buddy (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another in today from Azza. It's for comments like this that make you want to continue on the community trail. Disappointing as it is when you get a poor turn out for something you've run or come up with, kind words like this show that some do appreciate it:

    Now i dont mean to drone on but if i could only say one thing in this mail it would be this.... Paul Price doesnt getthe recongnition he deserves and part of that is due to the fact he never shouts about everything hes done for this GW and the CFA. The man is an absolute legend and if it werentfor him me and id say loads more people would have left long ago,such a thoughtful polite and helpful lad adn one anyone could get along with. I once remember him saying something which sums him up completely, people were discussing who they hate and paul said something along these lines " I dont hate anyone, i may dislike what some people do at times but hating is something i dont do". Honestly the man makes bono and lenny henry look like the grinch and his evil twin.

    ReplyDelete